Thursday, November 4, 2010

Prospectus..

  Prior to this class, I never gave any thought to the flavorings, natural and artificial, that are used to make my everyday snacks.The chosen topic of my research paper is going to be about the natural flavoring that is said to be used in our granola bars, fruit juices and ice creams, as well as many other desserts. The main focus of this paper will be the question of, How exactly does "natural flavoring" differ from artificial flavoring, if they even differ at all. Many people believe because a food or drink contains "natural flavoring" versus the more common artificial flavoring, that particular food or drink would ultimately be a healthier choice to make. I want to zero in on the truth on natural flavorings and whether or not it is any healthier than artificial.   
    For my paper I plan to expose natural flavoring for what it really is, and I want to know if it is in fact a healthier alternative to artificial flavoring, or if it is just a fake. What exactly is "natural flavoring"? What does it contain, and what makes it so natural? I would like to know what process is used to make this particular flavoring? Are there any chemical additives? What makes this any better, and how do we know that these flavors are in fact ALL natural? My plan is to show my readers what some companies are trying to hide by claiming their products are healthier by false advertising and misusing the word "natural" to their advantage.
   I do not expect to find information on one of many things companies are trying to hide, very easily. But within the weeks that are to come, I intend to use a variety of different tools and resources to back my ideas on the truth about natural flavorings. I will use LaGuardia Community College's subscription database, as well as LexisNexis Academic, and The New York Times articles about natural flavoring that is put in products especially the ones marketed to children. I think the Library Media Resource Center will be very useful too but more specifically I want to incorporate studies done by the FDA about this topic in question. And of course finding information the old fashion way, through journal, magazines, books, and newspapers always helps. I look forward to answering a question that has been on people's minds for a while now.. Is natural flavoring really natural?

3 comments:

  1. It will be a worth-reading paper! I like the way you show your knowledge on this topic. It will be very interesting! Good luck

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much Sumaiya! I hope you and the rest of my readers do enjoy :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is an excellent proposal for a research paper. I look forward to seeing how your position on the topic develops as you conduct your research! One suggestion: keep in mind that you can contact these companies directly. Most of them provide a telephone number somewhere on their packaging or on their web site, and I can tell you from personal experience that they are usually quite ready to talk -- more than once, I've found myself patched through to a product development lab or a quality control lab for the answer to a question.

    ReplyDelete